Are you a graduate student looking for feedback on your writing? We look forward to working with you!
As with our undergraduate visitors, we welcome all forms of communication, from essays, articles, theses, and dissertations to conference presentations, teaching philosophies, and other job market materials. Students may come from any discipline, and our trained communication consultants are happy to work with you at any stage of the composing process. A few items to keep in mind:
- Appointments can be made via phone at (515) 294-5411 or in person. Appointments can also now be made online.
- If you are looking to improve your writing style and become better at editing your own work, we are happy to support you through that process. Please plan to meet weekly with a graduate communication consultant to do sustained, long-term work on your writing. Students can have up to four appointments per week, with no more than one per day.
- For longer, more substantial projects, such as theses and dissertations, we encourage you to sign up for weekly appointments with one of our peer communication consultants--appointments can be made up to four weeks in advance. The first session will be devoted to discussing your project and setting up a reasonable plan for what you can accomplish during the semester. Feel free to meet with more than one consultant to find the person with whom you will be able to work most successfully.
- The Writing and Media Center hosts Writing Retreats throughout the academic year. Visit our Special Events page for additional information!
- The Graduate College's Center for Communication Excellence offers academic communication support to graduate students and postdocs in the form of courses, workshops and seminars, peer review groups, and individual writing consultations.
- Our policies are the same for graduate students and undergraduates: we will not proofread or edit your work for you. We do not promise you will leave the WMC with 100% error-free prose; if this is your goal, please contact the Department of English to find an editor for hire, or visit the Graduate College's list of Thesis Typists and Editors for hire.